Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Thoughts on Today's News


Here’s what I got out of reading the paper today:

Picking a Pope is interesting: a bunch of old men, most of whom were chosen by their last leader, lock themselves in a room to decide which of them will be their next leader, and then, after they do decide, pretend that they didn’t decide and that God decided for them. Really? If I were Catholic, would I believe this? Passover is coming up, and I can’t bring myself to believe that God split the Red Sea or that the Prophet Elijah is going to drop by my Passover Seder to have a glass of wine. Am I just too jaded for religion?
• • •
In response to North Korea’s nuclear threats, the South Koreans are thinking about getting their own nukes. Makes sense to me. As NRA Executive VP Wayne LaPierre says, “The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.” I say let’s give nukes to all the good guys. Makes me feel safer for sure.
• • •
According to a study by the University of Cambridge, what I “like” on Facebook reveals my intellect and sexual preference. It turns out that if I “like” “Thunderstorms,” “The Colbert Report,” “Science,” and “Curley Fries” I’m smart, but if I “like” “Sephora,” “Harley Davidson,” and “Lady Antebellum,” I’m dumb.
The study also found that I’m gay if I hate anti-gay legislation and like “Mac Cosmetics” and “Wicked the Musical,” and straight if I “like” Wu–Tang Clan, Shaq, and “Being Confused After Waking Up From Naps.” Who knew straight men napped?
I wonder what it says about me if I just stop going on Facebook?

1 comment:

Sonya said...

I always felt used and exposed in facebook. So finally i left and i like it.