Friday, September 21, 2007

The New D List

After her controversial “Suck It, Jesus” acceptance speech at the Emmy Awards, Kathy Griffin is number one on a new “D” list, the list of the damned.

In her speech, Griffin said "a lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus." I don’t think this is offensive. In fact, having seen her show, I would be saddened to learn that Jesus had anything to do with it. It sucks.

She went on to say that if Jesus had his way someone else would have won award. I can see how this remark is troubling to Christians. After all they believe that Jesus does get his way. So either Jesus secretly likes her show and wanted her to win, or he isn’t as powerful as some Christians would have us believe. Heresy either way.

Ms. Griffin then ended her remarks by holding her Emmy aloft shouting, “Suck it, Jesus! This award is my god now!” This is the statement that really seems offensive to many Christians. I will withhold judgment until I get through to Ms. Griffin or her staff, and find out what the “it” is Jesus is supposed to suck.

Some offended Christians are not waiting for clarification, and have taken out a full–page ad in USA TODAY called “Enough is Enough.” The ad asks people to “Stand up for Christ!” and sign a petition against bigotry.

Certainly a petition drive is better than calls for the death of Ms. Griffin, something that I imagine would have happened if she had dissed Mohammed rather than Jesus. But there is something about this particular petition that troubles me. Indeed, it makes me question whether the people behind the petition are really Christians, and what their true agenda is.
The petition says in part, “It is time for people of faith around the country to stand firm against religious slander, bias, and bigotry of all types including Christianity.”

Read this carefully and I think you will discover that the phrase “bigotry of all types including Christianity” means that Christianity is a type of bigotry! Now this is more offensive that anything Ms. Griffin has said. It sounds like something godless liberals would say, not something a God fearing Christian would promote. I have a call into Ann Coulter to ask about this, and until I hear back from her and Ms. Griffin, I am asking people to stand by Jesus, and not defame Christianity by signing this petition.

Enough is enough!

No comments: