Wednesday, November 02, 2011

I was going to put this in a comment, but I wanted to make sure you all got to see it, so I am posting it this way.

First, if my previous blog implicated Mr. Leith in my opposition to religious violence in scripture and theology, that was not my intent. This is my issue, not his.

Second, Jerry and I continue to email and he has provided a 13 word declaration that I am hopeful many if not most of the clergy in our country will sign: "We condemn the religious persecution of anyone in the name of any religion."

Jerry and I are already talking about tweaking this a bit, so the final wording may differ slightly, but I urge you to take this declaration to your own clergy and see if you get them to affirm this in public.

3 comments:

Mano said...

Hey haRav Ram

Re your post on violence in this world and the "next" here is a beautiful quotation from Jiddu Krishnamurti: "Violence is not merely killing another. It is violence when we use a sharp word, when we make a gesture to brush away a person, when we obey because there is fear. So violence isn't merely organized butchery in the name of God, in the name of society or country. Violence is much more subtle, much deeper, and we are inquiring into the very depths of violence."

Mano said...

If you vont, check out my latest post

http://manofestoyomi.blogspot.com/2011/11/are-evangelical-churches-really-run-by.html

No One Special said...

I wish someone would talk to this "Christian" pastor. It is "Christians" like this that make my head hurt.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog/2011/11/03/seattle-pastor-mark-driscoll-says-yoga-is-demonic/