Friday, December 14, 2012

According to the Mayans the world will end in seven days. I'm not a believer in this idea. In fact I am not one to imagine the end of the earth at all this month, but something has changed.

What changed is this: I was looking at the pictures of the Goldendoodles on my wall calendar (I love Goldendoodles and work for one without pay daily) when I noticed that my wall calendar ends on 12.31.12. Seriously. It does. This is no different than the Mayan calendar ending a bit sooner, except that it's different. It's different because the Mayan's had only one calendar whereas we have millions, and they all end on December 31st.

Check it out for yourself. If you have a wall calendar chances are it ends on the last day of December.
If this were true of just one or two calendars that ended on the 31st of December I would ascribe it to a printing error, but if every calendar ends on that day--and they do!--it can't be an accident.

Really: what are the odds that every calendar ends on the same day? They must be astronomical, which convinces me all the more that the end of the world is coming on 12.31.12. I checked this against the Mayan prediction of 12.21.12 and discovered that my wall calendar continues on 12.22.12, so the Mayans didn't know what they were talking about, which isn't all that surprising since they spoke Mayan which is a pretty dead language that few people can actually speak, so we really can't expect them to have communicated with one another all that well. I'm pretty sure that if they had chosen to speak English they would have discovered their mistake and moved the end of the world ten days further on to the end of December. But they didn't speak English and therefore didn't have an accurate calendar. But we do, and the end is nigh.

I hate to be the bearer of this bad news, but at least you still have Christmas. Just don't worry about those new year resolutions. When the ball drops in Times Square the world ends. I'm just glad that Dick Clark didn't live to see this.


1 comment:

dtedac said...

Rabbi Rami,
Actually there are thousands of Mayans today whose languages are fairly close to the original Mayan language. Their religious leaders have all debunked the end of the world scheme. Just because the Mayans counted the end of one era and the beginning of another differently does not foretell future doom. People should find more reasons to go on than to wait for the end. Or maybe I'm just missing all the fun of waiting for the twilight of the gods.

David