Friday, November 10, 2006

Cut So You Won't Run

I have been agonizing over circumcision every since my son was born almost thirty years ago. To cut or not to cut, that was the question. I decided to cut, not wanting my son to be the first Jewish boy in our family to not bear the sign of the Covenant. Yet there was and is no doubt in my mind that circumcision is a primitive and barbaric act. I do not believe God actually requires the removal of a baby boy’s foreskin; this is about tribe, pure and simple.

As a congregational rabbi I was often called upon to defend circumcision to mothers who just could not get over the brutality of the act. Since neither my congregants nor myself were orthodox believers, I could not hide behind the belief that God commands all Jewish boys to be circumcised. I could not defend circumcision, but neither could I abandon it. So I’d say something inane like, “It’s like getting your hand stamped at a concert. It gets you in the door.” The analogy was weak. And who would want to hear a band that required you to cut off the foreskin of your penis to get into the concert? And the fact that girls get in free, also seemed unfair, and weakened the analogy unless of course the concert was at a gay bar and now girls were allowed.

Today things are different. A new and exhaustive study of circumcised New Zealanders who were snipped at birth and monitored for 25 years to see how things went, proves that boys who are circumcised are less likely to get and transmit HIV and other STDs. Yeah, YHVH! You go, God!

The reason for this is simple: circumcised guys have less sex. No! My mistake. The study showed that the uncircumcised penis is a festering cauldron of infectious disease, while the circumcised penis is a beacon of cleanliness (yes, pun intended). I may be overstating the case a bit, and I have no hands on knowledge (yes, another pun) of how foul the uncircumcised penis may be, but now all us rabbis who are called upon to defend this tribal practice can point to cutting edge (yes, I know, I can’t help myself) science to back them up.

Now what shall we do with all of you still clinging to your foreskin? You could have it surgically removed. Remember Abraham was circumcised in his nineties, so it is never too late. Or you could learn to keep it cleaner. I have no idea is there is such a thing, but someone could make a lot of money marketing a special brush for the uncircumcised penis. I’d suggest calling it Head-On, but that is already taken.

Of course if the New Zealand study proved that circumcision was bad for you, Jews would still do it. After all, God is God, and if he demands a foreskin you’d better give him a foreskin. But it is good to know that membership (stop me!) in God’s club is not just good for the Jews.

(I will be in Israel for the next week or so, and may be unable to post from there. I’ll blog again as soon as I am able.)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

As one who has been intimate with a few penises in my 4 sexually active decades, I can testify to the esthetic positives of a cut cock (and, conversely, the negatives of an uncut one).

I also know of several men who were circumcised as adults because they liked the look or the ease of hygiene.

Every time I read the anti-circ folks talk about the "barbarity" of the procedure and the "mutilation" it supposedly produces, I wonder if these people have ever asked cut guys how they feel. I for one wouldn't sew a foreskin back on for anything.

And when I hear a Jewish man wondering if he should have circumcised his son I imagine that uncut boy in a locker room with other Jews, and I weep for Zion.

Unknown said...

Keto Bodytone In this sense, the movement toward future weight loss, and the positive regard stimulates the person's motivation. helps to increase the person's motivation through the constant positive regard for movement toward change.

Endy Mist said...

Most expensive laptop 6: Whenever you use your laptop, make sure the vent and fan is clear of obstruction. Despite the name laptop, these computers work much better from a flat, hard surface like a table. Covering the vent with fabric pad or padded laptop table are valuable accessories. The cooling pad itself might not be very effective, but it allows airflow, which helps keep the computer cool.

Unknown said...

Ultra Keto 360 Secondly, an audience for change becomes a constant source of positive regard for movement toward change.experiences an increased sense of confidence, which leads to more forward progress. As people inherently move toward where they feel confident, the more positive regard each person experiences, the more likely she will move toward further weight loss goals.

Endy Mist said...

Best android wear smartwatches If there's one thing that is so extraordinary about fossil watches, it's their timeless look and feel. Its ageless and given the number of years Fossil has been around as a premium watch maker, they would have gone out of vogue. But, only the reverse seems to be true.

Opti Farms Keto said...

Fast Burn Keto 80 pounds there are multiple articles explaining against losing more than 1-2 pounds perdistinction and the results have been great. But yes, these patients lose weight with the guidance

Unknown said...

Ultra keto burn However there are all these little nuances to that simplicity that are used to confuse you and help perpetuate these myths to losing weight.

Delta Prime said...

Top Celebrity Snapchat instead of listening to the nonsense that plays on the Radio? Today the oppotunities to study and

Relixjohn said...

Fluconazole Diflucan For sale constantly making fun of the small portion sizes in the French diet. However what they are eating in portion is actually in line with what truly is needed. Just Google "world obesity rankings"

Unknown said...

Aegis Vitality Keto are heavier than fats, thus, weight gain does not necessary follow that you are getting fatter - it could be that you are getting leaner. Above all, always be honest to yourself if you really

Delta Prime said...

Kings of kung fu (3) The significance of this Daoist Immortal's presence in the Shaolin Temple is not, I feel, fully appreciated in the West