Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Piety, Politics, and the Penis: a Deadly Combination

Just when you thought we could once again focus our clergy scandals on Catholic pedophiles, the Baptists horn in with yet another “I Hate Homosexuals! I hate them, I hate them, I hate them, I am one” scandals. This time it’s Reverend George Alan Rekers, a major player in anti-homosexual politics of the Christian Right, who Miami New Times reveals to be a major player with homosexuals themselves.

Caught with a male prostitute from Rentboy.com, Rev. Rekers, co-founder with James Dobson of the Family Research Council, claimed that he had just had surgery and had hired the man-toy to carry his luggage. Is that a euphemism for balls? Maybe, but I want to take Rev. Rekers at his word.

To get my facts straight, I dialed randomly and spoke to a man who had no idea what I was talking about. According to him, Rev. Rekers might have mistaken the “t” in Rentboy.com for a cross, so maybe he thought he was hiring a Christian luggage carrier like that guy Simon whom the Romans tapped to carry the cross of Jesus when Jesus himself was too beat to do so.

So I called a few male prostitutes to see of they would be willing to, you know, carry my luggage. No, I didn’t use Rentboy.com, that would be a violation of my integrity. Or is that an abomination of my integrity? Anyway, I had a few cards in my desk draw that turned out to be from gay prostitutes. I have no idea how they got in there, especially as I am totally opposed to all things homosexual so I certainly wouldn’t have taken any card from any gay prostitute or if somehow a gay prostitute’s card ended up in my hand I certainly would not have put it in my draws or if somehow a gay prostitute got into my draws I would have a better excuse than some surgery related luggage problem. If I were Rev. Rekers I would have said I was doing family research for the Family Research Council. It’s what we do.

Anyway, I don’t care whom Rev. Rekers has sex with, and I imagine you don’t either. Which is the point: unless there is rape, exploitation, or abuse we shouldn’t care who sleeps with whom. Two consenting adults or one consenting adult and a consenting—did you hear me, I said consenting—animal can do whatever they want. But when you are a holier-than-thou Christian fundamentalist who makes the hatred and oppression of homosexuals the centerpiece of your religion and politics, and when you turn out to be gay yourself, you should be fed to the lions.

Religion in this country would be a whole lot better off if no one with a penis were allowed to get involved with it.

14 comments:

Jordan said...

Shalom Rav,

You wrote: "But when you are a holier-than-thou Christian fundamentalist who makes the hatred and oppression of homosexuals the centerpiece of your religion and politics, and when you turn out to be gay yourself, you should be fed to the lions."

Do you have the same passionate scorn and venom
for holier-than-thou Secular Liberal fundamentalists who make hatred, ridicule, sarcasm and dismissive smug arrogance the centerpieces of their politics and secular liberal religion especially toward those with whom they they disagree?

If not, why not?

Wholeness,
Jordan

Raksha said...

Jordan,
Jordan,

Re "Do you have the same passionate scorn and venom
for holier-than-thou Secular Liberal fundamentalists who make hatred, ridicule, sarcasm and dismissive smug arrogance the centerpieces of their politics and secular liberal religion especially toward those with whom they they disagree?"


Obviously I can't answer for Rabbi Rami, and thinking it over it would probably be out of place for me to reply to that too extensively or passionately on his blog. I have a bad habit of getting on my soapbox in the comments section of other people's blogs, which lately I've been trying to break myself of (not too successfully).

But just in case you don't know it already--I am really biting my lip here!

--Linda

Jordan said...

Shalom Linda,

If you want to take this "off blog" my email is

eashtov@aol.com

Wholeness,
Jordan

Raksha said...

Jordan,

Thanks. Not sure if I want to or not, but I'll keep your e-mail address.

--Linda

andrea perez said...

What damage some of these people do. We were at a conference where some transgender youth were speaking. We heard their pain and afterwards there was to be a rally at some church where the James Dobson people were gathered at an anti-gay,transgender, bi,you name it conference. The problem was that we were petrified. Unlike the liberal holier-than-thou set who also have this thing about "the inherent worth and dignity of all people", these guys would have no problem stoning us. All talk is one thing. Activism that denies basic human rights to a minority is something that should be spoken out against . This group ,in particular, was cited over and over at the conference for causing many in the gay community to try or commit suicide. Can't defend that. Nor can I disagree with Rabbi Rami. Feeding them to the lions can mean to throw them out to the public and get the justifiable censure they deserve. Some things just aren't ethically or morally tolerable.

Rabbi Rami said...

Jordan, I have problems with holier than thou people in general, and do oppose hatred (though not sarcasm, where would I be without sarcasm?), but for the analogy to hold the liberal attacking conservatives would have to be a closet conservative, and this I haven't seen. It is the hypocrisy that I am writing about, not their opinions.

Jordan said...

Shalom Rav,

Thanks for the clarification. My position is that
there is fundamentalism on both sides of the aisle, though one rarely hears/reads about that on the left. Re sarcasm, when it's used by either side to mask demeaning meanspiritedness, it's no longer just a writer's tool that excuses content.

Wholeness,
Jordan

Jordan said...

Shalom Andrea,

You wrote:

"Unlike the liberal holier-than-thou set who also have this thing about "the inherent worth and dignity of all people",

This belief is not exclusive to the "liberal holier than thou." It's the belief of the majority of folks on both sides of the of the aisle. And let's be sure to remember this the next time someone uses the derogatory term "teabagger." You continued:

"these guys would have no problem stoning us."

Exactly what the fundamentalist secular liberals would like to do with those with whom they disagree. You continued:

You wrote: "Activism that denies basic human rights to a minority is something that should be spoken out against."

Activism on both sides of the aisle is protected speech here in the US. When it crosses the line and becomes activity that indeed "denies basic human rights," it becomes the domain of the legal system. You continued:

"This group ,in particular, was cited over and over at the conference for causing many in the gay community to try or commit suicide."

It's a little too facile to blame the complexity of suicide on ideas that are perceived to be hurtful.
You continued:

"Some things just aren't ethically or morally tolerable."

Agreed.

Wholeness,
Jordan

Judy said...

Although, like Daniel, if these people were really on "God's side" the action of feeding them to the lions would prove God's power to save them...

Or maybe what we really need to decide bewteen the conservative v. liberal viewpoints is a good ol' fashioned "my God v. your God" showdown like Elijah and the prophets of Ba'al. Now there's a reality show worth watching.

Rabbi Rami said...

Thanks Judy for reminding about the ultimate religious smackdown between YHVH and Baal. Jews, Christians, and Muslims should pick there most powerful prophets and see which one of them can set altars on fire first. Of course no bombs would be allowed. Power of prayer only. And losers would die, just to keep it in line with biblical tradition. And if now altars are set ablaze they all have to agree to go home and shut up. Forever.

Dan said...

Jordan wrote: "It's a little too facile to blame the complexity of suicide on ideas that are perceived to be hurtful."

In fact, a child subjected to Rekers' anti-gay therapy, whom Rekers considered a treatment success (for hating his femininity) did try to kill himself. It's detailed in Phyllis Burke's book "Gender Shock." An excerpt on the case is here:
http://www.reocities.com/WestHollywood/4298/GenShock3.html

Raksha said...

Dan: Thank you for the link to the excerpt from "Gender Shock." I just read the entire thing, and I hope Jordan does too. It's horrifying to even imagine that kind of invasive behaviorist conditioning to "correct" behaviors most of us wouldn't even consider deviant or abnormal. After that kind of experience I'm surprised poor Kraig only made ONE suicide attempt!

And that's one of Rekers' "success stories," huh?

--Linda

Marci Williams said...

Quote:
"Religion in this country would be a whole lot better off if no one with a penis were allowed to get involved with it.
Posted by Rabbi Rami at 12:53 PM"
I LOVE this! ROFLMJAO!!!! This is classic...this is quote that should go down in history!!

Peter Schogol said...

Former presidential wannabee Ron Paul's son Rand Paul is running for the U.S. Senate from my state of Kentucky. Other than he has no political experience, and what political views he has are to the right of Genghiz Khan, Paul has decided that parading the endorsement of the Family Research Council will get him votes. Granted that Kentucky is the state that has given the world Mitch McConnell, Jim Bunning, and especially the Creation Museum. Even so, does Paul think all Kentuckians are as backward as he is?